Now that winter weather is in full blast here on the East Coast, my skin has definitely been getting more dry and chapped. Usually, I am a fan of body oils and light lotions to moisturize, but these products don’t seem to cut it at this time of year. Fortunately, I have a roundup of awesome, rich body butters, creams and balms that will soothe even the driest, flakiest winter skin at any price point. Check out some of my favorite dry skin relievers below:
Melvita Apicosma Body Balm $28.
This certified organic, amazingly scented body balm is one of my favorite products this year! Melvita Apicosma Body Balm (part of the extensive Apicosma collection) contains a 3-honey complex features a nourishing blend of thyme, acacia and orange blossom honeys to combat the causes of dry skin. This body balm is also enriched with royal jelly, the exclusive food of the Queen Bee, to help deliver incomparable rejuvenating benefits. I love the deeply hydrating formula, natural ingredients, and the light, sweet fragrance and was thrilled for the opportunity to review this great product.
Aveeno SKIN RELIEF Moisture Repair Cream (formerly Intense Moisture*) $13.
This rich cream by Aveeno has been a longtime standby of mine for very dry, chapped or irritated skin. Its non-greasy formula offers deep hydration with a neutral scent. In a pinch, this is the product I go to to heal my skin. It is also great to soothe and heal skin affected by ezcema and/or psoriasis.
Boots Extracts Bergamot Body Butter $10.
I love all things Bergamot and this body butter by Boots is no exception. This thick body butter is strongly scented with bergamot and other citrus notes. If you are a fan of fragrance, the body butters by Boots are definitely a line you should check out!
Jindilli Body Butter
Jindilli Body Butter is one of the amazing products I was introduced to at last year’s Natural Products Expo. This vanilla-scented body butter feels delicious on and is non-greasy, non-irritating and free of chemicals… perfect for sensitive skin or eco-friendly gals! This product is packaged in a lovely Florence Broadhurst patterned tub container that looks beautiful atop any bathroom counter or vanity.
What are your favorite body butters? Let me know what products you are using to keep your skin supple in the comments below!
An unfortunate side effect of low temperatures and dry air this time of year can be changes in your hair and scalp. Exposure to cold air, dry heat and stripping hot water can cause dandruff or a dry, itchy or flaky scalp. Luckily, I had the chance to review and report on a great natural product that will combat your unhappy scalp without requiring you to switch your shampoo or conditioner.
Giovanni Wellness System Scalp Serum, $9.95, is a super-potent concentrate that you apply directly to your scalp in the shower prior to washing your hair. Just use the eyedropper to apply to roots and scalp, massage in, leave on for 3-5 minutes and then wash and condition hair as normal. This scalp serum treats your scalp with a blend of Chinese botanicals that soothe itch, smooth flyaways, strengthen roots and treat and prevent flakes. For under $10, this special potion is just what the doctor ordered!
What is your favorite Giovanni product? Have you tried their Wellness System line of products? Let me know your thoughts!
I recently received an opportunity to review some natural cleansing products from the Dr. Woods line. I have been using Dr. Woods Daily Exfoliating Facial Cleanser for several weeks now. There are many things I like about this product. First and foremost, the cleanser is meant for all skin types and contains black soap, gamma tocopherol, organic shea butter and botanical extracts. It is meant to gently exfoliate, heal blemishes, neutralize free radicals, moisturize and condition.
Dr. Woods Daily Exfoliating Facial Cleanser is 100% Natural and 100% Vegan. The cleanser smells fresh and clean, without being overly cloying. In the shower, I usually apply a small amount to my hands or to an exfoliating facial pouf and then apply to my face using circular motions. After using this product, my skin does not feel tight or dry, and I have not noticed any increase in breakouts or any sensitivity to the product. My skin is pretty sensitive, so that’s a big deal for me. I love how a little goes a long way (this bottle will seriously last me forever).
I have been enjoying this product and feel no need to switch to a different cleanser any time soon. I am also excited to report back on additional products from the Dr. Woods line, and will keep you posted!
Have you tried Dr. Woods products? What is your favorite from the line?
My name is Stefanie and I am beauty product junkie. I love any and all things related to the beauty industry, which is why my career as a hair stylist and makeup artists feeds this addiction. In the salon I have the privilege of trying out all kinds of products on my clients, sampling them for myself and even cocktailing products together. However, we all have our ‘go-to’ products in our arsenals that we cannot live without. In an effort to keep this a blog post rather than a novel I decided to make a top ten list of my favorite hair products.
- Elchim 2001 HP Professional Dryer – I live for this blow dryer and recommend it to all my clients. It is lightweight and easy to hold. There are seven switch combinations that allow for seven different speeds and temperatures and comes with a nozzle attachment. Your hair will always look amazing when using this blow dryer and in less time.
- Hot Tools 1” Curling Iron – I do not wear my hair straight for the simple reason that I do not like it on myself and I love full, big hair! This is the best curling iron on the market in my opinion. Hot Tools in general makes amazing curling irons so any size or style you get will be good for your hair and last you a long time. The temperature goes up to 430 degrees which you can set yourself, the barrels are 24K gold plated, fast heat up, and they are long lasting.
- Moroccanoil Hydrating Styling Cream – This product is from heaven! You can use it if you have normal, dry, oily or unruly hair. It is a lightweight, moisturizing cream that conditions, hydrates, fights frizz and has a soft hold. Perfect for blow dry, setting the hair and refreshing day old styles.
- Moroccanoil Treatment – The Holy Grail of all oils for the hair! Morroccanoil is an amazing product because it is nourishing to the hair and can be used to style and finish the hair. You can combine it with other products and it cuts down the time of your blow drying. It protects the hair against heat and hot tools and makes the hair shiny.
- Oscar Blandi Pronto Wet Volumizing Shampoo & Conditioner – This duo is amazing because it not only removes build up off of your hair, but it will bring hydration into your hair. Normally, shampoos that remove build up dry your hair out leaving it lack luster. This duo cleans and hydrates while boosting volume. And it is color safe which is always important especially if you color your hair.
- Oribe Maximista Thickening Spray – For those of us who lack thickness or your hair isn’t as thick as it once was then this is the product for you. This is a body building product that will make your hair look and feel fuller and voluminous. It also has some hold which will help you with styling and thermal protective properties against styling tools.
- Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray – This spray is one of the best on the market! It will give you that gorgeous and sexy Victoria Secret runway hair or that messy bed head hair. It builds volume into the hair and creates texture into the hair. You hair will look and feel amazing all day long!
- Goldwell Style Sign Volume 4 – Double Boost Root Lift Spray – A little lift never hurt anyone! Spray this onto the root area while doing your blow drys and your hair will have a long lasting lift and feel stronger!
- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque – It is crucial to do a hair mask at least once a week if not twice a month especially if you color, use a lot of heat with your tools and for proper hair care maintenance. This mask will make your hair feel like silk! It rebuilds damaged hair and makes it shiny and restores the elasticity in the hair.
- Hair Accessories – I love adding a little extra something to my hair with a hair clips, beautiful head band, rhinestone bobby pin, etc. This jazzes up your hair or an up do for a special occasion and they never go out of style.
So these are just a few of my many favorite things that I love for my hair and when I’m doing other people’s hair. You should always have a good shampoo and conditioner, hair masque and styling products to achieve your desired look. Do not be afraid of products and styling tools have fun with it and make your hair your best accessory!
Now that winter is on our heels, a deep, moisturizing lotion to keep your skin soft and nourished through the cold winter months is essential. This Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC) Extra Rich Fragrance Free Hand and Body Lotion does just that. Its lavender, Shea butter, olive and jojoba oils all work to replenish the skin with a light, fluffy consistency. This easy-to-rub-in lotion is great for the fall and will also be useful in the transition into the winter months.
This lotion does, however, have a bit of a scent to it, though upon application it is fragrance free. The alluring scent comes from the rich Shea butter mixed in with the other botanical ingredients. It is best used on the body after a relaxing shower or bath. For your hands, it is a good idea to use this product multiple times a day to instill its nurturing oils in your skin.
Beauty Without Cruelty is a vegetarian and vegan cosmetics company that does not support animal testing. Its products are perfect for those who are environmentally conscious and want to look and feel great without harming any animals or using any synthetic ingredients.
This product is available for $12.95 on the Beauty Without Cruelty website.
I recently received the opportunity to review Melvita Argan Oil with Geranium. There are many things that I really like about this product, so I’m really excited to be writing about it today. First of all, as I am always interested in marketing and graphic design, I love the packaging that this product comes in.
According to Melvita, argan oil is ideal for hands, nails and cuticles because it is exceptionally rich in essential fatty acids and sterols. The argan oil in this product is organic, cold pressed and unscented. The addition of geranium essential oil has regenerating properties, and also gives this cuticle oil a pleasant flowery fragrance. I also enjoyed knowing that 100% of the total ingredients in this product are from natural origin and organic farming.
I was particularly pleased that this came in a roll-on applicator so that it is easy to transport and pleasant to use. I can notice a significant change in my cuticles after using this product whenever my cuticles feel dry. I have previously reviewed Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil, which is also great but is not convenient for using on-the-go because it comes in a nail polish container. For around $15, Melvita Argan Oil with Geranium is a great solution to dry winter skin.
Have you tried this product? What do you use for dry cuticles? Let me know in the comments below!
- The Best Body Butters and Balms for Dry Winter Skin – Review
- Flaky Scalp Fix for Under $10: Giovanni Wellness System Scalp Serum Review
- Dr. Woods Daily Exfoliating Facial Cleanser Review
- Class up the Cabbage – Healthy Cabbage Soup Ideas
- These are a few of my favorite things…. Hair Edition