Beauty icon Marilyn Monroe has got to be arguably the most recognizable starlet of all time. There is a ton of buzz about Michelle Williams in her new role as Marilyn in My Week with Marilyn. Michelle is not naturally a ringer for Marilyn, but with some beauty magic, I think the stylists got her looking pretty close.
A lot has changed in the beauty industry since the 1950′s. Now, you can learn how to do your makeup like Marilyn with new tips from Celebrity Makeup Artist and Beauty Expert, Melanie Mills. Check out Melanie’s tips, compared to Marilyn’s original beauty regime, below:
1950′s: Pond’s Cold Cream was applied at night before bed.
Now: To get flawless skin like Marilyn’s, use Lancome Visionaire. It’s the first moisturizer to have LR 2412, a molecule that propels through skin layers to re-create a beautifully even surface with or without makeup.
1950′s: Max Factor’s Loose Powder was used to pat down makeup.
Now: At any given moment, Marilyn was always camera ready. Mattify your look with Skindinavia’s No More Shine. It holds makeup in place for up to 16+ hours while giving a glowing dewy finish.
1950′s: Chemist Hazel Bishop created the first no-smear lipstick.
Now: To get your lips to stop traffic like Miss Monroe’s, choose a long-lasting bold hue with a satin finish. Melanie loves Rachel Zoe’s Exude Lip Creme in Red #1. This Vitamin E & C fortified formula has a creamy gel texture which is applied by an innovative twist that pushes lip creme through the plastic tubing.
1950:’s A steady hand was needed to apply eyeliner.
Now: Marilyn kept her eyes defined by thick black liner on the top of her lids. Dior’s Backstage Eyeliners are stick-on adhesive patches; one pair in the set even includes Swarvoski crystals.
1950′s: Maybelline was just first starting to use synthetic replace petroleum mascaras.
Now: Marilyn Monroe had dark full lashes which really made her eyes pop. The Bourjois Volume Fast & Perfect Rotating Mascara has a brush that rotates in both directions to extend lashes to their full potential.
What do you think of these tips? Add your favorite Marilyn makeup tips in the comments below!
For more on Melanie Mills, check out her website.
Selena Gomez looked great and decidedly grown up at the 2011 VMAs. I love her sultry and neutral makeup palette, hair swept back and gothic feel dress.
Want Selena Gomez’s makeup look? Check out the tips below:
- Start with a clean, fresh face. Cover up any blemishes with concealer and lightly apply an illuminating foundation. You can make your own by mixing a shimmer product (like Benefit High Beam) with your favorite foundation.
- Fill in brows with your favorite brow pencil or powder
- Apply your eyelid primer (Urban Decay Primer Potion, or my new favorite, LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer) and sweep on some muted brown shades. I like NYX Nude/Taupe/Dark Brown Eyeshadow trio. You can also use a shimmery champagne color (like NYX Ultimate Pearl Eye Shadow in Sahara Pearl) to highlight your lids.
- Follow with your favorite black liquid liner and heavy black mascara. Don’t forget to line under your waterline (or get close to it) with a regular black eye pencil.
- Next, finish the look with a soft peach blush and a glossy peach lip. Benefit Cosmetics Ultra Shines in Spiked Punch does the trick nicely.
What do you think of Selena’s VMA look? Would you rock it?
Image Credits: Celebutopia.net
Here we have the lovely Sofia Vergara in natural brown and rose colored makeup for the 15th Annual People en Español ’50 Most Beautiful’ Issue Celebration. Love her makeup? Check out the tips below to get her look!
- For Sofia’s flawless face, start with a medium or buildable coverage foundation and set with matte powder. If you’re pale, try a natural looking bronzer, like Benefit Hoola, to get Sofia’s natural tan glow.
- Use a primer on eyelids, like Urban Decay Primer Potion or LORAC Behind The Scenes Eye Primer. Then, apply a bronzed brown shadow, like NYX Loose Pearl Eye Shadow in Walnut, to your lids. For a more intense look, dip your eyeshadow brush in water or a drop of Visine to moisten the shadow before applying.
- Groom eyebrows and define with a brow pencil or eyebrow wax.
- Use a black-brown mascara, like Almay One Coat Thickening Mascara in Black Brown, to define top and bottom lashes.
- Lightly apply a dusty rose blush to the apples of your cheeks. Try NYX Powder Blush in Dusty Rose.
- Last but not least, the lip color. To get a deep nude like Sofia’s, try L’Oreal Color Riche in Rich Nude.
What do you think of Sofia’s makeup look? Would you wear it? Let me know!
Image Credits: Celebutopia.net
Bradley Bayou, author of “The Science of Sexy” has dressed a-list celebs like Oprah Winfrey, Eva Longoria, Salma Hayek, Felicity Huffman, Kiera Knightly, and many others! Bayou has great tips on dressing to fit every woman’s unique figure with the style system that works for every shape and size. Check out these affordable pieces and capture the same look for a lot less.
While many people look to celebrities for current fashion trends, the reality of the fact is that most people can’t afford the same designer prices. Here’s a version of a favorite look of Bradley’s that is very wearable, body-conscious and affordable.
Model Claudia Schiffer was spotted wearing this chic 70’s inspired outfit this past July 4th holiday weekend. Travel back in time with this casual and modest look that flatters women’s bodies of all shapes and sizes. Want to get this look for yourself? Check out Bayou’s recommended look for less below:
- Forever 21 Necklace $7.80
- DELiA*s Scarf $19.50
- Topshop Blouse $36.00
- Levi’s 512 Denim Skirt $44
- Urban Outfitters Satchel $29.99
- Max Studio Shoes $99.00.
What do you think, would you wear this look? Let me know!
Check out Selena Gomez looking gorgeous and ready for some fun in the sun! I particularly love the casual hoops and stylish sunglasses paired with this fun and age-appropriate bikini. Of course, her beachy waves and sunkissed skin don’t hurt the look, either.
If you’re a Selena fan (or if you just like her trendy-cool style) and want to get her look, take a look at the Victoria’s Secret swimwear picks below:
- Beach Sexy® Zoe Push-up Balconet Top, $24 (shown with adjustable hipster bottom, $16)
- Beach Sexy® Maya Twist Bandeau Top, $24 (shown with side-ruched low-rise bottom, $16)
- BioFit® 5-way Push-up Bandeau Top, $32.99 clearance (shown with skirted bottom, $25.99 clearance)
What do you think of Selena’s look? Would you wear it?
Image Credit: Celebies.com
Alyssa Campanella (formerly Miss California) sported beautiful, shiny, flowing locks when she was crowned Miss USA 2011. Soft, beachy waves were every bit the California style that we would expect from the tanned and toned 21-year-old winner. Surprisingly, Alyssa Campanella was born a blonde, but steered away from that stereotypical beach-blonde California look. According to the Associated Press, Campanella dyed her hair six years ago for a part in a play, for a “fiery” character with whom she found she had traits in common.
“It’s really brought out the true Alyssa Campanella, I feel, and that’s why I really enjoy being a redhead,” she said.
To prep hair for heat styling soft waves like Alyssa’s, start with a priming product like Rusk Priming Crème. This product by Rusk is a lightweight priming creme that smoothes the cuticle for instant styling control and is the perfect primer for porous and chemically-treated hair. According to Rusk, its hydrating properties leave hair silky soft with incredible shine. The humidity-resistant formula protects hair from harmful UVB rays. Rusk Priming Crème also contains Thermplex, which provides thermal protection from heat stress caused by daily use of styling appliances.
Curl large sections of hair around a large barrel curling iron, and tousle with your fingers to finish. Don’t forget to use a high shine finishing spray for a healthy, shiny look.
What do you think of Alyssa’s look? Let me know in the comments!
Image Credits: CBS News 6/19/11
- The Best Body Butters and Balms for Dry Winter Skin – Review
- Flaky Scalp Fix for Under $10: Giovanni Wellness System Scalp Serum Review
- Dr. Woods Daily Exfoliating Facial Cleanser Review
- Class up the Cabbage – Healthy Cabbage Soup Ideas
- These are a few of my favorite things…. Hair Edition