I have been watching a lot of old movies lately, including some of those starring Marilyn Monroe. I am a longtime Marilyn fan and find her to be captivating on screen. I was playing around with Polyvore tonight and came up with the below Marilyn inspired outfit:
Vintage Chanel purse
Alexander McQueen pumps
Ted Baker cropped sweater
Marilyn’s fashion is a well discussed topic. Always in the eye of the public, Miss Monroe was noted for her style and flair. I recently received a copy of Dressing Marilyn: How a Hollywood Icon Was Styled by William Travilla. This awesome book shows photos, sketches and costume test shots of the many outfits that Marilyn is famous for that were styled and designed by William Travilla.
I would highly recommend picking up a copy of Dressing Marilyn if you are fan of Marilyn Monroe, or even just of vintage fashion!
What do you think of Marilyn Monroe as a fashion icon? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!
Check out the below fashion tips for fabulous plus sized women, courtesy of TLC’s new show, Big Sexy!
1. Do not avoid tailored, woven fabrics: A lot of plus-size women avoid woven fabric because it has little to no stretch; however, clothing like pencil skirts and tailored jackets make plus-size women look amazing. The tailored look can make you look thinner, more toned and professional. With the sharper lines and better structure, people will take you more seriously. Knitted clothing (which has a lot of stretch) tends to look a bit too casual for most settings. – Audrey Curry, makeup artist and aspiring fashion designer
2. Shoulder pads look awesome on curvy women: Many women generally stay away from shoulder pads, but plus-size women with larger hips should embrace the strong shoulder look. Naturally, a woman’s shoulders should be a little wider than their hips. Shoulder pads, which come in all shapes and sizes, can make a large woman look more proportional and thinner. It’s best to experiment! Shoulder pads can be easily added to existing clothing, such as a blazer or a shirt dress. – Audrey Curry, makeup artist and aspiring fashion designer
3. Deodorant and baby oil are your friends: If you want to avoid the crazy chub-rub between your legs, roll on deodorant or dab baby oil on your inner thighs. You’ll no longer have to wear biker shorts under your dresses! Keep travel sizes in your purse. It does tend to wear off throughout the day. – Tiffany Bank, plus-size model
4. Only wear what makes you happy: If you feel happy, you look happy. Want to wear hot pink lipstick or patent red leather heels? Go for it. Fashion is all about you and how you want to express yourself. I enjoy wearing crazy nail polish because I love colors and colors make me feel good! – Tiffany Bank, plus-size model
5. Do not try to hide your body under big, shapeless clothing: This approach never works. Even with all the material, we still know that you are plus-size. Now you just look frumpy! Instead, wear clothes that define the best parts of your body. Defining your waist with a belt, for example, can accentuate your curves. – Leslie Medlik, fashion stylist
6. Do not follow traditional plus-size fashion rules: A lot of plus-size fashion tips are outdated. Liberate yourself. Follow a few trends that you like and will keep your look current. If you like stripes, go for it. You can wear anything with confidence. Confidence is the key to having great style! – Leslie Medlik, fashion stylist
7. Do not be afraid of stores that don’t typically sell plus sizes: A lot of plus-size women shy away from mainstream stores, in fear that they will not carry clothes in their size. How do you know unless you go in and try? I am a huge fan of Anthrolopologie and can easily pull off a large dress made out of knit or jersey. I can also fit into their XL and L tops. Fit is more important than what the size says. Try everything on before you make the purchase. – Nikki Gomez, plus-size model
8. …but remember to support plus-size designers!: Most plus-size lines are created by plus-size women for plus-size women. These designers understand the issues we have with clothing, and they know that we want to look our best at any size. You have to dress the body you have now. If you embrace your curves and feel good about yourself, you will work even harder to achieve your personal body goals (or just realize how beautiful and sexy you already are!). Plus-size designer brand clothing is not only made for your body, but it also tends to be made better and last longer. – Nikki Gomez, plus-size model
9. The right undergarments are essential: Underwear are essential to dressing and significantly affect the overall look. It is extremely important to have on a great-fitting bra and beautiful panties. What is worn underneath will play a huge difference in the way you feel on the outside. – Heather Roach, wardrobe stylist and bra/bikini designer
10. Wear your clothes and do not let them wear you: Stand up tall and put your shoulders back. Good posture and confidence is everything. Be proud of who you are and respect yourself. Love your voluptuous curves and know your best features. – Heather Roach, wardrobe stylist and bra/bikini designer
Have you caught an episode of Big Sexy? What are your thoughts on these tips? Let me know!
Each year, fashionistas around the world eagerly await the trends that will grace the runways of New York Fashion Week. From head to toe, we take note as the industry’s top designers tell us what will be stylish for the coming season. Nails are no exception to this rule. Just like the other elements of a show, the nails of the models tell a story and offer a defined point of view. Creative Director of Pretty Woman USA, Aija Vilemsonne, offers her take on the forecasted nail trends for Fashion Week 2011, and gives advice on what skin tones look best with what colors, so that you can make an impact while keeping up with fashion’s elite.
A Note on Skin Tone
Knowing your skin tone is essential to maximizing your look, from clothing to makeup. Armed with this knowledge, we are able to make subtle changes to enhance our best features. Most of us are familiar with the old adage that skin tone can be defined in terms of seasons. Here, Aija provides a quick refresher course for determining your skin tone:
- Winter skin tones range from pale, to olive, to dark. Undertones are typically blue or pink, with dark eyes and hair.
- Spring complexions are pale, with pinkish or bluish undertones. Spring skin tones are often blondes, or brunettes with light eyes.
- Autumn skin tones have golden undertones. Most women who have autumn skin are red-heads or brunettes with brown eyes.
- Summer complexions have golden undertones, with peachy skin. It’s common to see straw-colored or red hair with light eyes.
Now, onto the trends!
Still Got the Blues
As more and more celebrities show off their “blue crushes” with everything from navy to sky blue, and fashion’s top designers crank out denim-themed collections, it’s become apparent to the beauty world that these hues are full steam ahead for fall. Aija cautions, “Choosing the right blue for your skin tone can be tricky; not every blue is flattering for every individual.”
- Winter: Go for high-impact colors like a deep navy or an icy-tinged pastel for the most flattering look.
- Spring: Stick to something defined like bright navy or a light whitish-blue to help make nails more striking.
- Autumn: With golden undertones, blue isn’t your most flattering color. Understated is the name of the game.
- Summer: Go with a soft blue pastel for maximum impact against your peachy skin. Go bold: you can afford it.
It appears that the fashion industry wants you to keep on blinging: fall metallics have hit the stores with a vengeance. It’s become clear that it doesn’t really matter which shade you decide on, because if it’s metallic, it’s in. In that case, Aija suggests taking advantage of the fact that this trend is colorless: “You can customize the trend to work for you.”
- Winter: This is your chance to go bright! Whether an orange-red or shocking pink, take the plunge.
- Spring: Avoid dark colors and embrace something soft in the lavender or rose-brown category.
- Autumn: Go with gold or a color that has golden flecks. Orange and brown work best.
- Summer: From lavender to plum, the purple family is the way to go to maximize your look.
Nude nails can be difficult. Finding the right hue can be challenging, and though you’ll generally reach for a color that’s closest to your skin tone, even if something seems perfect, it might clash with your skin once it’s applied. Aija explains, “Here, you should focus on your own undertones and those of the color you choose.”
- Winter: Subdued tones are not your most flattering, but sticking close to your skin tone will help.
- Spring: Go with a camel or a peachy color. Also, zero in on the brown family to complement your complexion.
- Autumn: Golden undertones are the name of the game. Particularly, beige and camel will work well.
- Summer: No matter what shade you decide, stick true to your skin’s undertones. Go with a rose-tinged nude.
“The most important thing to remember about nails is to have fun with it. Make mistakes, test out new colors, and see what you think works best for you,” says Aija. After having read these tips, you’re already ahead of the pack!
For more tips on nail care and trends, or more from Aija Vilemsonne, visit Pretty Woman USA at www.prettywomanusa.com.
Rachel Zoe, the celebrity superstylist, has a new baby boy, a new clothing line and a new saying (“Way fun” has replaced “I die”). And also…these smart tips for fashionistas; see below for a sneak peak.
For shoes, go high or low…but not in-between
“I like flats and I adore a high heel, but I don’t love a kitten heel. It’s neither here nor there. And the one show I will never wear is sneakers.
The fall trend everybody should try is…
“A tuxedo jacket. It’s flattering for every size—and every age—and it can be worn seamlessly from work to a night out.”
The surprisingly flattering piece on any woman is…
“Wide-leg jeans or boot-cut jeans. They really elongate the leg. People think they have to wear everything skin-tight to look smaller, but that’s just not the case. I wear my jeans with a vintage Chanel jacket and an LNA tee: It’s glamorous, but also really comfortable.”
Even a new mom can be glamorous, just…
“Pare it back. I wear less jewelry now because it can be sharp—I take everything off before I hold my son, Skyler. But if I’m going out, I’ll wear a great oversize piece. Also, I’m mindful of the products I use. I love Zoya nail polishes: They’re nontoxic (Skyler-safe!) and come in gorgeous shades.”
For more visit http://www.redbookmag.com/
Summer days are flying by, which means that we have fewer weekend getaways on our calendars. Personally, I have been planning a few days of trips to take with the boyfriend, but since he may be starting a new job shortly, my plans are in limbo.
Rushing to fit in travel arrangements and packing sometimes can’t be avoided, but Christina (Chris) Luhur, founder of e-retailer Scarpasa.com, is here to offer advice on how to pack most efficiently (and fashionably) for sunny destinations. This advice is great for people, like myself, who procrastinate packing and then make big lists of tons of stuff to take. Check out Christina’s tips below:
- Opt for quick-change friendly separates. We know it’s warm out, but here layers are unmatched: A camisole underneath your blouse, a stretchy tube which you transforms into a sexy skirt, or a mini dress worn tucked in as a shirt and pulled out for after-hours.
- Stick to basics, particularly if you’re traveling. Consider your Friday outfit an extension of your suitcase, which means packing on layers which you’ll be bound to wear once you arrive.
- Choose a versatile shoe. By opting for a pair of gentle heels, you’ll be comfortable, yet able to glam up when the quitting bell sounds. For example, all of the shoes on Scarpasa.com are hand selected by Chris for comfort, and are under 3” in heel height. Ranging from sandals to boots, flats to wedges, Scarpasa.com curates an international collection of the hottest wearable footwear from independent designers.
What do you think of Chris’s tips? How do you pack for summer trips?
Let me know!
Maria Menounos was spotted in Baby Phat while walking the streets of NYC this week. The TV beauty looked summery in her pink maxi, only $69! 90210′s Annalynne McCord is also a fan; she wore the same Baby Phat dress in green while filming scenes for the upcoming season of her hit show last week ‘Who Wore it Better?’
So, who do you think wore it better? Let me know in the comments below!
- The Best Body Butters and Balms for Dry Winter Skin – Review
- Flaky Scalp Fix for Under $10: Giovanni Wellness System Scalp Serum Review
- Dr. Woods Daily Exfoliating Facial Cleanser Review
- Class up the Cabbage – Healthy Cabbage Soup Ideas
- These are a few of my favorite things…. Hair Edition