I spent my entire high school career watching Blair Waldorf and Serena van der Woodsen on Gossip Girl take the streets of the Upper East Side with their exquisite fashion sense, class, and savoir-vivre. I found myself watching each week for their clothes, accessories, and fragrances. I remember that Blair wore Chanel No. 5, one of the most renowned fragrances to date. After watching the episode, I wandered into Sephora, deciding that I needed a signature fragrance. I was looking for something that I could wear to my econ lecture and also to dinner later in the evening. I wanted to answer the same way to everyone who asked me what I was wearing.
I stumbled upon the Jimmy Choo Eau de Parfum and immediately fell in love. Not only did it provide the perfect balance between sexy and easy-going, but also the name had everything I needed. The words Jimmy Choo are synonymous with towering heels that dominate the runway with every strut. Wearing Jimmy Choo, I felt chic, elegant, and ready to take the town. The Jimmy Choo Parfum provides its own pair of invisible stilettos that I spray on each morning. The 1.3 oz bottle is $55, but I would recommend the rollerball. At $24, it’s priced just right and can fit anywhere, even in your clutch before a night out.
I have been watching a lot of old movies lately, including some of those starring Marilyn Monroe. I am a longtime Marilyn fan and find her to be captivating on screen. I was playing around with Polyvore tonight and came up with the below Marilyn inspired outfit:
Vintage Chanel purse
Alexander McQueen pumps
Ted Baker cropped sweater
Marilyn’s fashion is a well discussed topic. Always in the eye of the public, Miss Monroe was noted for her style and flair. I recently received a copy of Dressing Marilyn: How a Hollywood Icon Was Styled by William Travilla. This awesome book shows photos, sketches and costume test shots of the many outfits that Marilyn is famous for that were styled and designed by William Travilla.
I would highly recommend picking up a copy of Dressing Marilyn if you are fan of Marilyn Monroe, or even just of vintage fashion!
What do you think of Marilyn Monroe as a fashion icon? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!
First of all, I know I haven’t posted in a while. I have been going through somewhat of an emotional turmoil, and during that time I’ve been listening to one of my new favorite female artists, Lana Del Rey. Since I’ve been off-the-rails… the entire Born to Die album has been on repeat and I don’t know if this is hurting or helping me. I have been really relating to the twisted lyrics that Miss Del Rey’s many songs offer, like, way more than the average person should. I know, I know, I am late to the game on this one. But she is just so bewitching! I entranced by those dark lyrics and her vintage, edgy, pin-up glam appeal. Basically, I want to steal her sultry voice and flounce around in her cute outfits all day.
So, since I can’t do that, what I can do is offer some tips on how to get your lips as close to Lana’s as possible. Back to beauty, after all.
First of all, exfoliation and moisturization are key here. Now, there are a number of lip exfoliators available out there for those of you looking for a product to accomplish this goal. I’m sure you can quickly search Pinterest (another one of my new loves) for a DIY solution and get a sugar scrub of some sort. The best lip exfoliator I have found is a swipe of lip balm or petroleum jelly, followed by a gentle rub with a warm, wet washcloth. This is, of course, simple, and basically free.
After exfoliating, be sure to lightly moisturize lips with a soothing balm, like Burt’s Bees Replenishing. Then, follow with a non-glossy swipe of coral, muted pale pink, or deep red lipstick (liner is suggested on some of the more obvious colors). Voila! Instant Lana Del Rey trout pout. Keep the rest of your makeup simple, except for the swooping pin-up lashes, and you’re golden.
Beauty icon Marilyn Monroe has got to be arguably the most recognizable starlet of all time. There is a ton of buzz about Michelle Williams in her new role as Marilyn in My Week with Marilyn. Michelle is not naturally a ringer for Marilyn, but with some beauty magic, I think the stylists got her looking pretty close.
A lot has changed in the beauty industry since the 1950′s. Now, you can learn how to do your makeup like Marilyn with new tips from Celebrity Makeup Artist and Beauty Expert, Melanie Mills. Check out Melanie’s tips, compared to Marilyn’s original beauty regime, below:
1950′s: Pond’s Cold Cream was applied at night before bed.
Now: To get flawless skin like Marilyn’s, use Lancome Visionaire. It’s the first moisturizer to have LR 2412, a molecule that propels through skin layers to re-create a beautifully even surface with or without makeup.
1950′s: Max Factor’s Loose Powder was used to pat down makeup.
Now: At any given moment, Marilyn was always camera ready. Mattify your look with Skindinavia’s No More Shine. It holds makeup in place for up to 16+ hours while giving a glowing dewy finish.
1950′s: Chemist Hazel Bishop created the first no-smear lipstick.
Now: To get your lips to stop traffic like Miss Monroe’s, choose a long-lasting bold hue with a satin finish. Melanie loves Rachel Zoe’s Exude Lip Creme in Red #1. This Vitamin E & C fortified formula has a creamy gel texture which is applied by an innovative twist that pushes lip creme through the plastic tubing.
1950:’s A steady hand was needed to apply eyeliner.
Now: Marilyn kept her eyes defined by thick black liner on the top of her lids. Dior’s Backstage Eyeliners are stick-on adhesive patches; one pair in the set even includes Swarvoski crystals.
1950′s: Maybelline was just first starting to use synthetic replace petroleum mascaras.
Now: Marilyn Monroe had dark full lashes which really made her eyes pop. The Bourjois Volume Fast & Perfect Rotating Mascara has a brush that rotates in both directions to extend lashes to their full potential.
What do you think of these tips? Add your favorite Marilyn makeup tips in the comments below!
For more on Melanie Mills, check out her website.
Free hand cream? Sign me up!
This celeb favorite cream is ultra luxe and nothing feels better than a deal like this one
Now through October 23rd, log onto Facebook and click to “Like” the L’Occitane fan page to receive a free 10ML tube of the hand bag essential – perfect to combat dry hands during the colder months ahead. Once you sign up, you will receive in the mail a voucher for 15% off your next purchase that can be redeemed at any L’Occitane store, nationwide. If 250,000 fans are reached from October 3rd -October 23rd the Shea Butter Hand Cream will be upgraded to the 30ML size tube – so log on today!
Please click “Like” to receive your free Shea Butter Hand Cream:
Have you tried L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream? Let me know your thoughts!
Check out the below fashion tips for fabulous plus sized women, courtesy of TLC’s new show, Big Sexy!
1. Do not avoid tailored, woven fabrics: A lot of plus-size women avoid woven fabric because it has little to no stretch; however, clothing like pencil skirts and tailored jackets make plus-size women look amazing. The tailored look can make you look thinner, more toned and professional. With the sharper lines and better structure, people will take you more seriously. Knitted clothing (which has a lot of stretch) tends to look a bit too casual for most settings. – Audrey Curry, makeup artist and aspiring fashion designer
2. Shoulder pads look awesome on curvy women: Many women generally stay away from shoulder pads, but plus-size women with larger hips should embrace the strong shoulder look. Naturally, a woman’s shoulders should be a little wider than their hips. Shoulder pads, which come in all shapes and sizes, can make a large woman look more proportional and thinner. It’s best to experiment! Shoulder pads can be easily added to existing clothing, such as a blazer or a shirt dress. – Audrey Curry, makeup artist and aspiring fashion designer
3. Deodorant and baby oil are your friends: If you want to avoid the crazy chub-rub between your legs, roll on deodorant or dab baby oil on your inner thighs. You’ll no longer have to wear biker shorts under your dresses! Keep travel sizes in your purse. It does tend to wear off throughout the day. – Tiffany Bank, plus-size model
4. Only wear what makes you happy: If you feel happy, you look happy. Want to wear hot pink lipstick or patent red leather heels? Go for it. Fashion is all about you and how you want to express yourself. I enjoy wearing crazy nail polish because I love colors and colors make me feel good! – Tiffany Bank, plus-size model
5. Do not try to hide your body under big, shapeless clothing: This approach never works. Even with all the material, we still know that you are plus-size. Now you just look frumpy! Instead, wear clothes that define the best parts of your body. Defining your waist with a belt, for example, can accentuate your curves. – Leslie Medlik, fashion stylist
6. Do not follow traditional plus-size fashion rules: A lot of plus-size fashion tips are outdated. Liberate yourself. Follow a few trends that you like and will keep your look current. If you like stripes, go for it. You can wear anything with confidence. Confidence is the key to having great style! – Leslie Medlik, fashion stylist
7. Do not be afraid of stores that don’t typically sell plus sizes: A lot of plus-size women shy away from mainstream stores, in fear that they will not carry clothes in their size. How do you know unless you go in and try? I am a huge fan of Anthrolopologie and can easily pull off a large dress made out of knit or jersey. I can also fit into their XL and L tops. Fit is more important than what the size says. Try everything on before you make the purchase. – Nikki Gomez, plus-size model
8. …but remember to support plus-size designers!: Most plus-size lines are created by plus-size women for plus-size women. These designers understand the issues we have with clothing, and they know that we want to look our best at any size. You have to dress the body you have now. If you embrace your curves and feel good about yourself, you will work even harder to achieve your personal body goals (or just realize how beautiful and sexy you already are!). Plus-size designer brand clothing is not only made for your body, but it also tends to be made better and last longer. – Nikki Gomez, plus-size model
9. The right undergarments are essential: Underwear are essential to dressing and significantly affect the overall look. It is extremely important to have on a great-fitting bra and beautiful panties. What is worn underneath will play a huge difference in the way you feel on the outside. – Heather Roach, wardrobe stylist and bra/bikini designer
10. Wear your clothes and do not let them wear you: Stand up tall and put your shoulders back. Good posture and confidence is everything. Be proud of who you are and respect yourself. Love your voluptuous curves and know your best features. – Heather Roach, wardrobe stylist and bra/bikini designer
Have you caught an episode of Big Sexy? What are your thoughts on these tips? Let me know!
- The Best Body Butters and Balms for Dry Winter Skin – Review
- Flaky Scalp Fix for Under $10: Giovanni Wellness System Scalp Serum Review
- Dr. Woods Daily Exfoliating Facial Cleanser Review
- Class up the Cabbage – Healthy Cabbage Soup Ideas
- These are a few of my favorite things…. Hair Edition